Sunday, May 5, 2013

My child

The other day my daughter asked me if I would buy lunch for her friend. She didn't ask for herself, and I knew some extenuating circumstances. I immediately said yes. As I was driving to buy the meal and then deliver it, it occurred to me that this very friend had asked me three times in the past two weeks for money to buy lunch. Each time I said no. But when MY CHILD asked, I said yes. My child has special access to me and my resources.

There are times when my child asks, and I say no. It is, after all, my responsibility to shape her character, and sometimes not getting what she wants is what's best for her. But she knows it is our family's nature to be generous, and so she asks for a friend, and I say yes.

Now imagine with me how your Father responds when you ask on behalf of a friend who doesn't know Him. That friend can ask, but you are His child. Do you know what family you belong to? Do you know His heart for people? Are you grabbing someone's hand and running to Daddy?

Jesus said, “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:11-13)

No comments: