Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolutions

I am not enthusiastic about making resolutions, and yet I like the concept. In the midst of my ambivalence, I read posts by two friends that I would like to share.

The first suggested listing five "Impossible Tasks" that you resolve to do in 2009. One of hers was "race Nascar in a purple polka dot dress." What a lovely image! The idea is that you list the impossible and then those things are out of the way, and you can focus on what you really can accomplish. I had a similar exercise one summer, as we were beginning break. There were SO many things I wanted to do, so I listed out how I planned my ideal summer to go. I wrote a paragraph each on five different areas of my life that I would like to develop with my "free time" out of school, and went over the top in my expectations. It was fun to purge my zealousness, but what surprised me was that at the end of summer break, I had actually seen growth in every area addressed in my essay. Sure, I did not have perfect abs and a regular aerobic, weights, and stretching work out, but I had begun an exercise plan, one that I could stick with even after school started.

My second friend said that each new year, she asked God for a word--one simple word that would provide guidance for her coming year (see Ginny's post here). Ironically, the Lord had spoken a single word to me sometime last January or early February. The word was "consume." I took initially him to mean "use up things around your house" and began burning all my candles and using up "special" things I had been saving in various closets. This task proved to be more insurmountable than I had imagined, which led me to wonder about the logic of hoarding. Even greater, the word "consume" began to affect my generosity. What if all the money I had was given to me to use? It obviously wasn't going to go with me to heaven. I began to ask God what I should use it for. One might think that this scary question would lead me to never save, but sometimes he directed me to set it aside for a purpose later. More exciting to me, however, was when God directed me to spend it on my children. I have gained a new perspective: they will only be with me for a season. By all means, spend enough that they feel blessed in their clothing, their diet, and in fun. I'm not sure if my kids notice a difference, but my level of joy when we go shopping (a required activity with three growing girls!) has radically increased.

I have done both of these new year's activities. My list of impossible resolutions is on Marie's website, Five a Day--it's not as clever as hers. :( My word for the year is "cleanse." Both of these activities leave me unfettered, free to chase the new year as it comes. I am not bound by any goals or time-limited resolutions. I wonder what God is up to in 2009?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I got a phrase or image instead of just a word - something like: "Run for your life" or "Start running" or "Run faster". Anyway, I'm pretty sure it means "Put on your tennis shoes and engage in your life."

Bonnie

Unknown said...

Is that a different notion than "put on your big girl panties"?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Angie!
My word for 2009 is HOPE!
Happy New Year
Love, Muppy

Anonymous said...

Not exactly. It's more like "put on your big girl panties WHILE running!"

Ginny's gems said...

Great word! If you add it to mine you might come up with a spitz bath!