Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Talking about God and chayote squash

About a year ago, I began ordering from a produce club. On Saturday, I pick up a basket of produce, about half fruits, half veggies, and then go home and figure out what to do with it. I don't know what I'm getting any given week.

Initially, I ordered every now and then. And the produce was a little overwhelming. I'd have a bunch of leeks, so I'd look up recipes. Hm, the leek-stuffed salmon looks good. Off I'd go to the grocery store to buy salmon and all the other ingredients in order to follow the recipe. This approach, for at least half the items in the basket, was tiring.

Slowly, I began to cook with the veggies without bending so much to recipes. I like to throw things in a skillet with onion, olive oil, and a little meat, a little seasoning. Sometimes I serve it on rice or spaghetti; sometimes we just eat it in a bowl. Turns out there are a lot of foods that can be eaten this way. If I don't know what to do with a veggie, this is now my go-to plan. And I don't have to run to the store to accommodate the produce. My life has adapted. I have new skills.

Still, when I would entertain, I would definitely spend a lot of money at the store. Last week, however, was another turning point. We made plans rather last minute with some friends. I already had planned to try a new recipe, a copy-cat of Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana. After all, I had kale and potatoes to use up. Since we had company, I used lettuce and tomatoes on hand to make an Italian salad, and a bunch of romas along with the remaining kale and some basil from my porch to make a sauce for pasta. I bought a loaf of bread at the store--that was it. Even for company, I used what I had. This has been one of the most satisfying changes in my life, this contentment in my kitchen, using what I have and not scrambling for something else.

In the course of the evening, I found myself telling our friends about the lifestyle changes we've made and how they have benefited our health. As always, my thoughts turned to our spiritual journey.

Do you talk about God with people?

Part of what makes me excited about my adaptation to fresh produce is that it is different. This is a new change in my life. Five years from now, I may be talking about it less. Of course, five years from now, it will hopefully be so incorporated in my life that the suggestion to eat more fresh food will be natural to anyone struggling with energy or health concerns.

Part of why I talk now is that I have grown in the past year. I have learned something new, and I like to talk about it. In your walk with God, are you learning? If so, you will likely talk about it. Maybe not the first awkward nine months. During that period, it is more natural to seek advice and counsel. (What do you do with leeks? How did your family consume three quarts of peaches last week?) But learning leads to interaction.

I'm currently thinking about leadership and human nature. Haven't you seen that in my blog? I always like to think about grace and rules and choices. Haven't you seen that in my blog?

If you are not learning about God and His mysterious, wonderful ways, you likely have prepackaged food sitting in your pantry that you make again and again without thought. Mac and cheese with green peas. A can of soup. Burgers and fries. Grilled cheese. A bowl of cereal.

You should go to church. You should read your bible. You should be nicer.

What would you do with an eggplant?

(By the way, I haven't made the recipe featured in the photograph. Feel free to try it --click here--but you'll probably have to go to the store.)

No comments: