Friday, August 16, 2013

Watch this video, become a better person

My friend Brian is running across Mongolia. 1500 miles. His family is on the journey with him, and I think often how none of them will ever be the same: Brian for making this choice for them all, the children getting to experience the "out of the ordinary" at such a young age, his wife for her willingness to grow in this adventure. I have three reasons for wanting you to watch this video.

First, I want it to replace something else you are spending your time on. Several years ago, I spent about a half hour going through my mail. I had an L.L. Bean catalog, some jewelry or department store sale ad, and a Compassion publication. I thought, what if? What if I just stopped flipping through the mail that just wants my money? When my family needs shoes or clothing, I know how to find and buy them. I don't need to feed my discontent by looking at catalogs. Instead, I can feed my soul by reading publications from Compassion, Samaritan's Purse, Focus on the Family. Even in the mail that comes to my house, I can be careful about what I set before my eyes.

Secondly, I'd like for you to commit to educating yourself about the world. It is not The Secret Life of the American Teenager. It is not That 70's Show. There are real hurts and ways of life you have not considered, and knowing about the world--especially opportunities for hope and improvement--will make you a better person. Take five minutes to imagine the life of an orphan in Mongolia. A child soldier in Sri Lanka. A girl sold by her parents to a pimp at age 12 in India. If you take the time to be sad just a little today for some of the suffering around the world, you will be imitating the heart of God. If you don't take time to even care, let alone do something, then how will hurting people know that anyone is concerned? You have to start by knowing enough to even be concerned.

And finally, not only will this video raise your awareness of orphans in Mongolia, but I hope it makes you think of the "little thing" God has put in front of you. It doesn't feel life-changing. But you can do this, this little thing. In His hands, it's enough. It's obedience.



May your day be blessed.

No comments: