Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seeing me

"Jesus was as certain of the future as we are of the past." ~Alex Himaya in a Sunday sermon

This statement almost made me laugh out loud, but with delight, in a good way, not a mocking way. Jesus does see the future and past clearly--what amused me is how poorly WE see things. Not only do we not see the future, but we really don't see the past clearly either. We can't even judge our present very well. The apostle Paul said that he didn't judge his own ministry because he didn't trust himself to understand his own work, that he would leave God to be the judge: "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me" (1 Corinthians 4:3-4 NIV). When I study history with my girls, I realize how subjective my presentation is, how the past can be manipulated and distorted, and is very difficult to know because it always comes to us through a lens of human understanding--and we humans are so fallible.

I want to ask Jesus to tell me my own story. I know that I will not see things clearly until I stand with him, but even as I live my every day life, I want him to reveal even my own life through his eyes. My past, my present, and my future--I want the freedom and joy of seeing me the way he does.

No comments: