Monday, April 22, 2013

Come to church

I have always attended an evangelical church, where I am exhorted to "Bring people to church!" Over and over again...if I bring people, then I'm okay, and they'll be okay. Isn't that exciting? All this, and free coffee.

I attend church every Sunday morning. I like worshipping with a group of believers. I like hearing a sermon and talking with my family afterwards. I like seeing familiar faces and greeting people. But if this experience was all I had to be a Christian, it would be empty. I can't imagine coming to this environment from no religious background and thinking, "Wow, this is what I want to do with my life." Being part of an organization that is excited and happy? Well, that's okay, but it's not all that useful.

What is useful for life is real people. How valuable is it to be able to call someone when you're trying to make a decision and talk things through. How wonderful is it to have a meal with friends and not care what you're wearing or what the house looks like. How meaningful is it to be able to ask real questions, to put your warts and issues on the table and not fear judgment. When you don't know what to do, how amazing is it to have others surround you with their prayers and love.

The real Christian invitation is not merely, "Come with me to an event," but rather "Walk with me in life." I need Jesus because He understands me. He values me. He directs me. My life genuinely would not be the same without Him, and I have reoriented myself to know that I need His salvation; there is no hope for me without Him. I have changed to be more like Him, and that is the direction I want to keep moving, until game over and I see Him face to face.

Because Jesus is so amazing at accepting me and changing me for the better, I want other people to find Him. I can't imagine not having the security of knowing Him, and so my goal is to love, accept, challenge, and walk with others. The way we live reflects Him, and that is why Christians have a longing to be with other Christians: in their lives, we see more of Jesus than just ours alone. We also want to be around the hurting and needy, because in their faces we see our own, as we were when we so desperately needed Christ. Serving others reminds us of our own need, and how beautifully that need has been met.

So, I would love to have you come to church with me on Sunday morning. I would also love to have you over for dinner, or meet you for coffee. I would love for you to call me if you have something you need to talk through, or just to have a listening ear and a heart that cares. You matter to Jesus, and I would love to talk more about Him. Truth is, church is a group of real people, not a building or a Ponzi scheme. I would like you to come to church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, my friend. I'm thankful for your voice and your shoulder on this journey.