Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Help, I hate morning

I am melancholy in personality. The cup is not only half empty, but if you are not careful, you are going to knock it...hey! what did I tell you? You knocked it over! Urg, go get the spray and paper towels.

I don't mind being detail-oriented and thinking deeply, but I get so tired of living with such a negative person (aka, me). I used to get up and spend some time with God, to orient myself to Him, get the day started a little better. But I am now living out Year 3 of Morning Torture.

Beginning in 6th grade, my middle daughter's scheduled bus stop was 6:55am. Such an early pickup is enough to make anyone contemplate life as a redneck dropout, but of all the possible people in the family, it had to be Lizze that the cruel fates scheduled for EARLY. When she was two, the bane of my existence was getting her out the door to go anywhere. She moves in a slightly shifted parallel time line, one that is...just...a...little...slow...er...than...ours. And she inherited my hatred for early. To this day, she will tell you that she gets up at 5:15 to catch the bus, but the truth is that I get up at 6:15 and begin coaxing her from bed.

I used to yell and plead and cajole and be firm and be succint and not waken her at all...but a while back I learned that being silly had better results. Now, when my alarm goes off, I stagger upstairs and joke with my unconscious child. For 10 minutes. Then make her breakfast, pack her lunch. Start my husband's coffee. Cajole sleepy-head a little more. Make my husband's lunch. And almost every morning, Lizze gets out the door in time to catch the big yellow monster.

And then my husband goes. And then my other daughters get up and I can start homeschool. And at this point my day has started off like Chinese water torture. I am seriously considering pulling Lizze home, and this early morning routine is a large part of why.

Before you post a comment, criticizing me for being Pansy Mom, pray for my spirit. I need God's peace & covering before I have to read how you think I am doing this all wrong. And I would love it if God would post a solution I can hear & understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying 1 Thes. 5:23-24 "May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it." Love you!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jen. And thank you, Bonnie, for your invisible, irreverant post. Shortly after I posted this, I bought the book Boundaries with Teens. It helped. Going off daylight savings time helped. Some mornings still suck, but God is good, even then.

Thanks for your prayers!