Monday, April 8, 2013

A cup of Scripture to sip on

Before I began working, I was knee-deep in homeschooling. After getting my husband off to work each day, I would close myself in our bedroom and read my Bible, pray, worship, and meditate. We were supposed to start school at 9:00, but I would often take more time for my studies, on the theory that this really was the "most important thing" (Luke 10:42), and we would get through the school day fine if I were late for this reason. Note that I am not one of the noble women who rises at 5am to read her Bible. I've tried that, and I always fell asleep over the Word. Not pretty.

These days, I have two girls to drive to school at separate times, different lunches to make, and I have squeezed out my "most important thing." Part of me misses the open-ended nature that I used to have, and I resent having to just fit in the time to read. Frustrated that I can only work in fifteen minutes (and loathe to get up earlier), I often skip this quiet time with God altogether.


Instead, I have been reminded recently of the art of meditation. It seems I am always thinking about God, and so lately, I look up whatever familiar Bible passage has come to mind. Sometimes this will be as a result of praying for a friend; sometimes it will be from a sermon or song I have heard recently. I know where a lot of "famous" things are in the Bible, and I am good at providing paraphrases, but often when I review the verse itself, I see something new in the wording. Or the verse before or behind jumps out at me.

One or two verses, drawn from the well of His Word, can sit in your cup all morning as you hurry about your tasks. In the same way that I have a cup of coffee with me all morning, which I am always sipping on, I can think on a verse of Scripture and let it shape my mind and heart.

Meditation is especially important for areas of your heart that are not resting in God. You know what I'm talking about: those things that you know in your head, but that your heart is too stubborn to receive. For example, I have been anxious lately about my middle daughter. I shouldn't be anxious; I know that. But instead of stopping with, "I know I shouldn't do this," I looked up the Scripture in Philippians that tells me so: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (4:6).

I know that Scripture is powerful. It is "alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword...it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12). And all Scripture is given to us by God, made alive by Him, and useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16). The funny ecards you read on Facebook are not powerful. The inspiring pictures you pin on Pinterest are not useful to train you in righteousness.

But Scripture will change you. If you have a headache, and you know ibuprofen will help, but you never take two pills from your cabinet, will your headache get better? Maybe. But you have done nothing to help; just knowing what to do is not enough. You have to act. In the same way, if you want to change, you must do something; you must take in Scripture.

Devotionals are very good resources for taking in a little Scripture daily. Make sure there is a Bible verse included, and when you find one that comes alive to you, stir it into your morning drink and sip on it.

No comments: