Monday, December 10, 2012

Steal my show

This morning I heard Toby Mac's "Steal My Show" on the radio. I love this song. Toby is a class A performer, and he strikes me as the "real deal" when it comes to Christianity, not an easy thing when you're a big public figure.

So I listen, and Toby's giving his show to God, so God can do what He wants. I've seen Toby Mac perform, and as loud and crazy as it is, God does shine through. But towards the end (never heard this until today!) he says, "No matter who you are/No matter what you do/Every day, we can choose/To say, If you want to steal my show..."

And it hits me, in the car, that I have a show. My own little unseen musical, "Angie the Housewife and Home Educator" kicks off every Monday with a bang and goes full force until the weekend. And often through the weekend. And Jesus might want to take over.

Now Toby has a performance. What I do, people don't watch. But Toby doesn't kick back in a chair behind stage while Jesus holds the mic. Toby plans for excellence, rehearses, and then executes--and he knows none of it means anything if Jesus isn't the center of it all. Toby, in his surrender to God, isn't passive.

So, Jesus, if you want to steal my show, You can have it. When I am choosing one activity over a different one today, would You please direct that decision. When I am cleaning, cooking, writing Christmas cards, would Your song be in my heart the whole time, giving glory to You. When I am speaking to my husband, my children, my friends, and strangers, would Your words be on my lips. I'll give you center stage.

2 comments:

Flea said...

I like your new layout. Very nice.

Unknown said...

A friend helped me think it through. I think I'd like a photo for each season, but haven't gotten there yet. :)