Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Encourage younger moms

This entry is for older women. I don't know what qualifies you as an "older woman", but if it comforts you, I fit that category and I'm only 29. (Smile, look around the room, I think they believe me...)

One of our jobs is to encourage younger women. The book of the Bible written to Titus tells us to urge the younger women to do various things "so that no one will malign the word of God" (Titus 2:4). When I mentioned this topic to my best friend, she sighed, "But I don't want to do Valentine parties." And I immediately think of all those church programs that get a bunch of women together for "mentoring," pairing them off with commands to meet weekly, pray for each other daily, and study this book. One more item for our checklist--just what we need.

Whatever image you have in your head of "encourage the younger women," set it on the table and honestly look at it. Do you think you don't have time? That you're not knowledgable enough, good enough, wise enough, etc? You've been told to do it, so let's consider something other than that revolting mass of obligation you're staring at.

Do you ever see a woman in the store with children younger than yours? You think, "Oh, I remember my kids at that age." Say something nice to her. Stop in the hall at church and tell that young mom that she's doing a good job. You don't even have to know if it's true! Your words bless her, and encourage her on the best path before her.

That wasn't so hard, was it? Could you take one more step? Invite a younger mom for coffee or an afternoon soft drink. Meet her somewhere. Drop by her house with a cookie. Take 45 minutes to listen to her. Just talking out loud and knowing you care about her will make her entire week better. Give yourself the following freedoms: 1) it doesn't have to be a long visit; 2) you don't ever have to do it again. God is capable of bringing one encouraging voice after another into her life; you aren't committing to a 10-year relationship.

A quick word on the "I'm not (blank) enough." Of course you're not. God is. Ask Him for enough confidence to help someone else. You don't have to be a paramedic to give someone a hand when they've fallen down. You don't have to never have fallen yourself, or been trained as the Expert Get Upper. Maybe you need to learn a little grace for yourself so you can offer it to someone else...that is very important for your own walk, and I encourage you to look into that one.

In our crazy American culture, we could all use a little casual. A little unscheduled friendliness. A little low-pressure community. Be willing, and let God be in charge of the rest.

2 comments:

ChocolateDogStudio said...

Good truths here, Angie. This is a great topic and hits most of us at the right time. The good thing about encouraging someone else is we are often encouraged by them as well.

Unknown said...

Yes, encouragement pays! I once had a man tell me (with a patronizing tone) that people who encourage others "often need it the most themselves." Well, pish posh! Who doesn't benefit from encouragement? The bible tells us to always look for ways to build each other up. I'm in. And I am happy to admit, I need encouragement from others just like I need love from my Lord Jesus! It's a good system when God lets us benefit both ways.

Thanks for commenting. :)