Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The most important things

The most important things you will ever do are completely unseen. This thought is not startling or new; it has just been impressed on me more and more as I grow older. I think judgement day will turn the world inside out. After all, it is the Lord who said, "The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7). Right now, we see appearances: success, accomplishments, possessions, looks, money.
But at judgement day, we'll see hearts: sincerity, love, pride, jealousy, envy, strife. And I don't think there will be any kind of direct correlation.

God must shake his head sometimes at our mixed-up perception. SMH, he says.

I've studied a lot of psychology. Some people say you have to think right before you can act right; some people say you have to just do the right thing and your thinking will change. Both are true. Both can be found in Scripture. But God is the only one that really sees the effort I put into my heart.

Loving my family well. Working to forgive. Praying when it is hard. Calming my temper.

I think this occurred to me after July 4 weekend. We had company. The food was great; my house is big; everyone was chatting and laughing. And one person there was envious.

Please: God does not care about my house. God does not care about my hostessing. God cares about my heart.

If we admire the right things in other people ("she is kind," "he has integrity," "she is faithful"), then we will be inspired to imitate those qualities. If we admire the appearances of others, we will focus on the small stuff.

The stuff that will be burned up.

The stuff that man considers important, but God says is just stuff.

SMH. But if I'm not careful, I will judge and dismiss this person. This one will rankle my pride. And then God will look at my own heart and shake his head.

Better to pull it out now and do the work that no one will see. The most important work. The kind that will last.

Lord, give us eyes to see.


No comments: