Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Attractive is easy

Grace is a beautiful thing, but it messes with me. Religion, however, provides a comfortable environment, where I can feel good about myself. After all, religion lets me line up the rules that I personally keep well, quietly ignore the ones that trouble me, and condemn those who don't keep my Top Three. Religion allows me to gather around me people who are like me, and we can feel comfortable together. It's a pretty good system. Trust me...it feels good!

Imagine Jesus' disciples. I don't think they were a homogenous group. You have blue collar fishermen, your basic good Jewish people, mixing with a zealot, a former tax collector, followers of John the Baptist, these women that He seemed to attract (from rich ones to former harlots). People would join the group and then wander away--sometimes the really good ones left, like that one rich young ruler, but then people who had received healings would stick around. It sounds good, but someone who has lived their life as a beggar doesn't have the best social skills...always excited and happy, hugging people and just really inappropriate and awkward. No sense of social boundaries, ya know?

And Jesus is not very "with it" either, sometimes. He accepts rich gifts, and yet there's no clear headquarters, more homeless wandering than any sense of belonging. Sometimes He heals the weirdest people, and then Lazarus gets sick and He won't budge. He doesn't really address the real problems, like the Roman oppression. And He draws confusing lines, like that whole thing about the most blessed people not making it into heaven. God pours out blessing on our wisest leaders, the best families, and Jesus is like, oh, they're a den of thieves.

Everyone gravitates towards the familiar, the comfortable. But lately, I have been overwhelmed by people who make me uncomfortable. When I look at their hearts, I see their value--intrinsic, beautiful value given them by God. And yet, their choices offend me. The Lord is watching me like Gandalf, that wise, knowing look, and simply saying, "Hmm," while I struggle with my prejudices. Did you know that the actor who plays Gandalf is gay? Why is the Lord standing near my shoulder in the guise of a brilliant gay British actor?

To find the photo towards the top of this blog entry, I googled "images happy group." When I tried "images ugly people," I was presented with a list of webpages inviting me to laugh at pictures of "ugly people." One of them was tagged, "A collection of weird people that will make you feel extra normal." We don't love what is unattractive to us. We don't look at someone who is making different choices and see their beauty. We just laugh and feel better about ourselves. We've picked a Top Three that makes us feel good and safe.

Jesus doesn't give us that option.

Are there people in your life who offend you? Good for you. Love them with the grace that God gives. Ask for His eyes, and pray, pray, pray. If everyone in your circles is like you, then ask for the eyes of Jesus. He is glad to provide heart-stretching exercises.

I was once ugly and outcast. Jesus looked at me and saw my value, despite my decisions, despite my flawed efforts. He is in the business of seeing the unattractive, and I am grateful.

The photo of flowers was taken by Dawn McKenney-Acree on a trip to Moore, Oklahoma, after the devastating 5/20/13 tornado. The roses were blooming amidst some demolished property. Thanks for letting me use this great shot, Dawn!

No comments: