Monday, June 17, 2013

Do you want to be productive?

It used to be my job to recruit people to serve. I enjoy inviting people to work in the Kingdom. Service is a wonderful path to growth, because Scripture becomes more alive to us as we put it into practice. I want people to visit my church, give to my causes, come buy produce from my people, come to my house for coffee. But...

Today I'm going to tell you that you're doing too much. I saw you flinch. You know who you are.

Trust me, I hate this message as much as you do. I have a friend who's very successful in ministry, and my own career seems pale and limpid next to hers. When I think about her, I always muse, "Well, if you were really dedicated, Angie, you could do that." And then I feel sad and envious. But the truth is, I am not called to do what she does. I really try to hear the Lord's voice and only move when He says yes. Even so, there is always a war between my own crazy ambition and my Shepherd's voice.

In John 15:2, Jesus says, "He [as in, God the Father] cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." There is a danger of thinking you are in Christ and not bearing fruit; this blog entry is not written for that person. My friend, if you are productive in the Spirit, the Lord will prune you.

Mentally picture pruning shears in your hand. They have a very strong lever, and the pinch of those blades is strong.

I often want the same thing that God wants for me. I want to be productive. The rub comes in the method; I'm not sure I like the idea of pruning.

2 Peter 1:8 says, "If you possess these qualities in increasing measure [faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control...see the full list here], they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." This verse is one of my favorites! I don't want to be ineffective and unproductive! And then Jesus whispers, "Ah, good! I shall prune you."

Eek.

When my rose bush puts up a bud, it usually puts out four or five. Ideally, you should pinch off the smaller buds so that the center one gets more nutrition and grows bigger and more beautiful. But isn't more better? Hmm. Maybe. But a rose bush can only produce so many roses without becoming diseased and unhealthy. In your passion to produce, are you becoming diseased and unhealthy?

Donald Miller commented, "What if you decided to change a dozen people's lives? To keep your focus and prayers toward them. And trusted them to change the world." What if you need to think small and genuine? To be a healthy producer, instead of a mass producer? I don't have the capacity to love large numbers of people well, unlike God who sees the hearts and thoughts of millions. His bigness makes me feel small, and sometimes hopeless. But in truth, I am not the one who changes the world. Neither are the people I help along in the journey. Really, it is God who moves in lives to change things for His eternal, good purposes.

Jesus continues His thought in John, "No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me" (v.4). The Spirit in us will bear fruit. We don't do it on our own. And sometimes, if you really want to grow, if you really want to produce the very best that you can, you must say no. Let God take something out of your life.

Snip. Focus. Here we go.

No comments: