Thursday, January 3, 2013

Serving the Master

So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, "We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.” (Luke 17:10)

We don't have the daily concept of "master" in the United States. In fact, it's a rather ugly word to us, a reminder of slavery and other tyrannies we rebelled from. But when we say, "Jesus is Lord," we mean He is Master. Have you ever given it much thought?

A servant represents his master, not himself. When he goes somewhere, what he says and how he behaves reflects on who he serves. His words and actions also account for his own character, in the sense that he is seen as a "good servant," a "faithful servant," a "wicked servant," or a "lazy servant." No one would say, "Oh, he's a lazy person, but a good enough servant." Your very identity is tied to whom you serve and how well you fulfill your role.

Think of Gehazi in the Old Testament (2 Kings 4-8). The goal is not to notice him; he simply represents the prophet Elisha. But when he becomes greedy (2 Kings 5:20), we sadly shake our heads--and Gehazi is struck with leprosy. To a large degree, Gehazi reminds me of the disciples, just following Jesus around, mostly bystanders but sometimes remarkably stupid.

My goal is to be a transparent representative of my Father and Lord. I think there are many instances where I have bumbled this badly. But it helps to be more aware of my role. Oftentimes, I have seen myself as the star, the lead role, in the drama of my life. Lo and behold, He is the lead. I'm the supporting actor.

When I served on staff at a church, I was the servant left in charge of an estate. The Master put me in a position, and I had to work hard to fulfill His charge. Now, He has called me back to wait on Him. It is as if we are in a tent, and He stands at a table, pouring over charts and maps, planning the next strategy. I am against the wall, in a group of servants, waiting while He discusses with his generals and advisors. He knows my skills, my strengths, and my weaknesses, just as He knows each of the other servants waiting with me. If He asks me for a cup of water, I will gladly fetch it. My readiness is what He desires. If I start to get my own ideas of what should be happening now, if I slip from the tent to take care of things that I thought should be handled, I would not be a good servant. I wouldn't be worthy of His trust.

There is no difference in my heart between the busy task I was sent on for several years and this time of waiting. I love my Master; I have had my ear pierced.

But if the servant declares, "I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free," then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.(Exodus 21:5-6)

1 comment:

ChocolateDogStudio said...

I am there as well. Prayers and patience as we wait on which steps and what direction we should take.