Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reading the fig tree

In my previous entry, I talked about the act of reading, how we commit to a story or remain surface readers. I want to provide an illustration from Mark.

In chapter 11, Jesus is going to Jerusalem the day after His triumphal entry.

The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it....

When evening came, Jesus and his disciples went out of the city. In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!” (Mark 11:12-14, 19-21 NIV)

Jesus cursed the fig tree for not producing fruit. It was out of season. Why would he even check it? I wouldn't go looking for peaches on a tree in the fall, or apples in the spring. And couldn't he just as easily have brought forth fruit from the tree? What is this passage telling me about Jesus? It seems a little scary.

At this point, I could decide that Jesus condemns us if we don't produce fruit out of season, and be afraid and uncertain of my standing before Him. But that just doesn't seem right to me. I know the parable of the talents, where God is described as a "hard master," but I also know that Jesus said, "Come to me, you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). The Lord Himself established seasons; is He somehow overruling them here? Yikes, I am unsure.

But I realize I don't know anything about fig trees. When I googled "Jesus curses fig tree," I got many hits, but found this website to be most helpful. The fig tree, it turns out, becomes leafy before the figs appear. Mark says, "It wasn't the season for figs." Got that. But if a tree is going to bear fruit, it has little pre-fruit, almond-sized things on the tree, that hungry people would often take off the tree and eat. I gather it was better than a pre-ripe apple, but that's the idea: not fully-ripened fruit, but still edible. This tree was in full leaf, but had no pre-fruit, so it was never going to produce figs. If figs were ever going to come from this tree, Jesus should have found something there.

This is the Jesus I know. And here is where we tap into the larger story. Jesus has come to preach to Israel, God's chosen people. The nation is in full leaf: the Temple is functioning, learned men are teaching, sacrifices being made. Sure, they're oppressed by the Romans and would like to rule themselves, but that's why the Messiah is coming, any day now. And yet when the Messiah does come, He looks at them and says, "You're in leaf, you look great, and yet you are never going to bear the fruit I require." And He pronounces judgment on it.

Now, instead of a scary Jesus, I have a different picture: the King, coming to His own, and He finds them not ready. This theme appears over and over in Jesus' teaching. He was asking of them what they should have been prepared to give, and they were found lacking. This judgement I can accept; this motivates me.

My Lizzye told me one time, "I tried to read your blog, but it was just a lot of Bible stuff. I don't really find that helpful." I hope, reader, that looking over my shoulder as I read the Bible was a little helpful to you today.

No comments: