Friday, February 6, 2009

Doing the right thing

Doing the right thing is a trap. When you do the right thing, you feel very secure, very proud of yourself. When you imagine that you know the right thing and have somehow failed to do it, you feel condemned, you blew it, you beat yourself up. (Why am I writing in second-person? I guess I've said this so many times to myself, it now feels like a lecture...)

A better paradigm is to follow after God. If you obey God in a given circumstance, it gives you a deep sense of peace. It is gratifying to please someone else more than yourself. It is a place of humility. If you do not obey God, he is good to correct you. God disciplines those he loves, and if you listen to his conviction instead of the ugly voice of condemnation, you will be blessed even in your shortcomings. If you do not know God's will in a given situation, you can seek him, which is always profitable (remember, if you seek me, you will find me?).

This is Angie, leaping off the Perfection Train to seek the God who doesn't follow tracks. Or even roads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By golly, I think you got it!
Somewhere along the way, I seem to have lost it, so could you just keep repeating it please.