Monday, December 1, 2008

Relationship

Do you believe that you can know God? Can you come to understand him? What would it be like to even begin to do so? When you know a person, a friend, you know what he or she likes, the way that person views situations. Sometimes you can guess what your friend will do in a situation, but because of your relationship, you are more interested in talking over things with him or her than simply guessing from afar. My friend Bonnie is valuable to me, not because I can guess what she might think about something, but because I can talk with her about things in my life that I need help with. Most likely, if you bother getting to know someone, it is because you benefit from the relationship with him or her.

Does God want this kind of relationship with us? Someone to talk to, to share things with? Sometimes, when I am praying, I will ask God, what do you want to talk about? and then sit and be quiet. After all, God took Abraham to overlook Sodom and Gomorrah and said, hey, I'm going to destroy these cities. Then he listened to Abraham plead for them not to be destroyed. Abraham was called "a friend of God." Do you want that kind of relationship with him?

One of my girls has a piece of flair on Facebook that says, "A friend will bail you out if you end up in jail. A best friend will be sitting beside you saying, wasn't that great!" Does God want to simply bail us out of trouble, or does He want to walk along side of us, through our good moments and our screw ups?

No comments: