Friday, November 21, 2008

Taking some time

Life is tricky. I've always wanted to have purpose in how I make my choices and how I spend my time. However, I often find that instead of having purpose, I am either busy or bored. I am amazed at how much time one can waste on the computer. . . But it is equally true that I can be cleaning my house and teaching my kids and going to church and accomplishing no more than if I were just pounding around the internet from my keyboard.

Purpose, for me, is living in such a way that God is in the midst of my words, my actions, and my perspective. The more I learn to walk with Him, the more I am addicted to the adrenaline of His Spirit moving in me. There are times when the activity that engages me is not necessarily fun or exciting, but I have a deep sense of rightness, that I am doing just what He wants of me with that block of time. Helping my mom battle cancer, encouraging a friend in a difficult marriage, doing my part at the preschool ministry at church...and also cleaning my house, teaching my kids...God has placed me where I am in my life so that I can be salt and light. He has purpose for me in every day.

I know that time moves fast, but I am also amazed (especially when I am wasting it) at how much time we are actually given. Years seem to fly past as I get older, but still every morning when I wake up, there are quite a few hours ahead of me. Every day I choose how I live. May the Lord give me eyes to see the time He has given me, and may I be still enough to hear Him direct me in how to spend it.

No comments: