Sunday, September 15, 2013

Connecting with what you have

Last Sunday, our pastor talked about how important it is to read your bible. He noted how everyone nods their head at this: we know it is important to read our bible. But are we doing it? We can read the book, or we can feel satisfied that we own one.

Last night, I met friends for dinner, and we talked about how wonderful it is to have friends in our lives. But even so, with this great resource, do we call when we're in need? Do we ask for help? Do we take the time to connect or simply feel happy with the idea of connection?

I am having a hard time connecting lately--with God, with friends--and I think there are two reasons for that. One, there are some intense things going on at home. I am working very hard to connect in a better and deeper way with my own immediate family. It's new. It takes effort. I used to gloss over this somewhat in favor of broader connections, but now is the time for connecting at home. It won't always be this way, but this is the season where I find myself.

Secondly, I am determined not to be a one-man band. There was a great post about living in community on Donald Miller's blog recently (link here). He talked about the novelty of the one-man band: it's kinda freaky, kinda amazing, and certainly gets our attention. However, that's not the cd that we buy to listen to. We want to hear the orchestra, the community of people who each do their part and something beautiful arises from the group.

I often want to be the super-hero who helps everyone else. I like helping. So community for me, friendships, can be a bit addicting: let me jump into YOUR life and be helpful. Lately, I am thinking more about how to play my own instrument. It's not as selfish as it sounds. Playing my violin beautifully means that I benefit the group when we are together, without upstaging or being discordant. I am a part.

I have this suggestion to make to a friend. I have this advice to offer the group. I can make this phone call.

And that's all.

I can't teach the second violins how important their part is and call them every day to encourage their practice, while also finding a clinician for the horn section, tuning all the woodwinds just a little better, meeting on a Saturday for some extra work with percussion, and starting a fund raiser for a new viola for second chair because his just got stolen while he was at the hospital with his wife who has cancer. And let's make them dinner too.

The one-man band. All things to all people.

How did Jesus live? He came with one purpose: to atone for our sins. He spent thirty years living with His family, a few years teaching close friends and the crowds, and then He died. He was certainly busy, but He was also focused. He served the Father in the one capacity where He was called to serve. People wanted Him to do all sorts of things, like lead militarily or politically, maybe overthrow the religious leadership. But He came to die.

In John 14:12, Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." Jesus was one man; we're a community. He didn't try to be everything himself; He called us.

It is important to reach out, to really connect. But our greatest value, our greatest contribution to the community, arises from doing our part well. I am learning to trust God with the needs I see around me, to love within my human limits. Somehow, when I am obedient to my small part, He has the freedom to conduct a beautiful symphony. Can you hear it?

1 comment:

Flea said...

Preach it, sister. *sigh*