Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How to follow Jesus, part 2

For almost a decade, my family belonged to a church that I just loved. I worshiped freely there; I served and supported so many ministries in which I saw the heart of God; I was taught well; my kids were taught well; I got to hang out with real people seeking Jesus, just like me. When a church lines up so squarely with what you believe about following Jesus, all you have to say to others is, "Come with me. Come see what following Jesus is like." It's wonderful.

Until you walk away. When we left the church, I lost the place where I worked in God's kingdom. I don't think I idolized my church, although that certainly was a temptation. But losing it brought to the forefront the things that I do to follow Jesus. This list isn't exhaustive; I'm just sharing my journey.

1) Decide you want to know more about Jesus. You can serve comfortably in a church; you can enjoy doing good things. But you're not a Christian unless you are following Jesus. Read about Him. Ask questions about the Bible. Grow from where you are now. If you have good basic knowledge, memorize Scripture. Meditate. Teach. Disciple a friend. Anytime you are using what you know, it should drive you to want to know more. When life kicks you around, it should make you want to know more.

2) Believe that you hear His voice. I have had several people ask me how to know if God is directing them to do something. My answer is somewhat simplistic: if you think it's Him, act on it. He is God, and He is capable of stopping His child from misunderstanding, and He is certainly able to correct us. We're just the child. If you don't try to obey His voice, you will never get anywhere. Running water can be directed; standing water stagnates. The more you listen and obey, the more clearly you will know Him. In John 10:3-4, Jesus says, "[The Good Shepherd] calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice." Later in the same chapter, He says, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." Sheep learn their shepherd's voice. You can do this--Jesus said so.

3) Obey. I know this sounds like point #2, but if you don't believe He directs you, you can't obey. But if you do believe He directs you, then do what He says. When the Word convicts you, don't keep reading because you have three chapters to get through that day: do what it says. When the Spirit directs you, obey: take the shopping cart back to the carrel, give away some money, call someone who pops into your mind. Do it. When you obey, your faith grows, and Jesus was always chastising the disciples for having faith that was too small. Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." The simple principle of obedience has pulled me out of dry spells and continued to spur my growth even as a mature believer.

4) Pray. Don't just worry about it. Don't just talk to your friends. Talk to God. Take the time to lift up others. Pray Scripture. Write out your heart to the Father. This is a daily lifeline to me, especially when my own nature is swarming me. Prayer keeps any day from being wasted.

5) Mess up. If you're perfect and have everything figured out, I'm not interested in you. When we look at Jesus in the Bible, He is magnificent. The disciples, however, are a wreck. I wonder if He showed us them in all their proximity to His glory just so we would know that we're also going to look messy? We're going to fail. We're not a completed piece of art work for others to admire. We're a living sacrifice, which is bloody and stinky and either wounded or smoky. Beware of speaking the language of the Pharisees, the ones who had it all figured out. Try out these words: I made a mistake. I don't understand. I haven't figured out [blank].

6) Be with people. Whether you are naturally outgoing or prefer lots of alone time, people are necessary to help you grow in Christ. We joined a new small group recently, and I told my husband, "I like it. It's like every other small group we've ever joined--there are lots of people I wouldn't choose to be around. This is just where we should be." It's good to have people who are like you, with whom you can be comfortable, and people who will rub you the wrong way, so that you grow. (I'm lucky enough to have a best friend who is both of those things at the same time. Thanks, Bonnie.) Be with people; serve people. Following Jesus isn't a private, solo act.

The last thing I would say about following Jesus is harder to quantify. It's this: don't be comfortable. Jesus all the time calls me to things that I don't like, that I wouldn't naturally choose. In fact, I have gotten so used to His direction going against my nature, that when he called me to lead preschool ministry, I was very afraid, because that was something I wanted to do, and I honestly can't remember following His lead down a path that I desired. It has come to comfort me that His voice is so clearly not my own; His will is more recognizable that way.

Do you follow Jesus? What does that look like? Please leave a comment, to encourage the rest of us. Happy journey.

1 comment:

Flea said...

I love number two.

Hey, are you posting the links to your posts on FaceCrack twice a day? Morning and night? I notice no one is commenting. Also, post them on Twitter three or four times a day. Bring people into the conversation!